Thursday, May 20, 2010

HodgePodge

Long, long, long, long time no post.  I have said this before but I really did think that finishing up last semester would mean more time to blog.  It really just means more time to do other things (without documenting them, woops.)  The only thing I have been busy doing is job hunting.  I have had the same summer job for six years now so I didn't realize how tough it can be to find one.  Especially one I might enjoy!  The search continues...

On a better note, I'm signed up for the Healthy Living Summit.  I'm so excited that it's in Chicago this year.  I think it will be a really awesome opportunity to learn and meet a ton of great people.  Hopefully it will give me a kick in the rear to be a better blogger as well.

Foods lately have been a hodgepodge of stuff.  Keefer was here for almost a whole week so we made (and ate out) some great food, some of which I snapped pics of, some of which I did not.

The first morning he was here he made this awesome om with mushroom, onion, tomato and avocado.

We also made Mexican dip which was so good but we ate far too much of it in one sitting.  The rest we used on salads but it def should have lasted us longer than it did.  We layered refried beans, avocado, sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, and olives.  The olives were yummy ones from the olive bar however I think I would have liked just plain canned black olives.

Our school had $5 Cubs tix on sale a while ago so we bought some.  It was my first Cubs experience and it was fun but a little too chilly.  I'll go back when it warms up a bit more.  ;)  I love the atmosphere at baseball games!  A bunch of fans enjoying the day while eating hot dogs and drinking beer...even though I skipped on the hot dog.  (Keefer was here too but somehow he snuck out of this.)
photo.php.jpg

(Yes, I did rock my Tigers hat at a Cubs game....I'm new to Chi and have no Cubs gear...yet.)

After the game we headed to http://www.gooseisland.com/.  I loved the beer and the vegetarian chili was good too!  We also split the spinach artichoke dip which was super tasty!

Keefer and I are both on a student budget so we tried to find fun things to do for free/cheap in Chi.  One of the days we went to the Botanic Gardens.  It was SO huge and SO pretty.  Such a nice walk.  We stayed for a few hours and although it would have been nice to have it warmer, it was so nice to see all the plants and flowers!  


After the gardens we went to a small restaurant, Dimitri's which we though would be pricey when we walked in but it turned out to be pretty reasonable.  We both ate for around $24.
I started with a greek salad

and Keefer started with minestrone soup.  We both love minestrone so we are on the lookout for a good recipe!

I ordered a porkchop which I had been craving that came with some veggies.

Mine was good but Keefer's gyro was so much better.

Another free thing we did was hit the Lincoln Park Zoo.  For being free, we thought it was a great zoo.  We had a lot of fun!






Keith is coming again next week to stay for a bit so we are going to try to find more things to do for cheap, cheap, cheap!

Now for more hodgepodge...



I'm moving in a week so I'm not grocery shopping, just trying to eat what's in my cupboards.  It will be nice to not move so much stuff but I'm in need of more food in my fridge!


I laid out for the first time this summer, yesterday and got pretty fried so I'm off to aloe up.  My body looks like a tomato!

Tara (:

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to the HLS too! YAY! Keep wearing that Tiger's hat, show the Detroit love!

    ReplyDelete