Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pink Inspiration

Howdy folks!  We are over the hump.  Can't wait until Friday when my spring break starts!  I'm headed back to MI and I'm sure it won't be quite like my trip last year to Puerto Vallarta but it will be wonderful to be back home with friends and family nonetheless.
Today I forgot to take a pic of my breakfast oatmeal AGAIN.  What's wrong with me???  Oh well, I did remember to snap a pic of my lunch today.  Like I said, I don't like to go grocery shopping before I go home so my fridge usually gets pretty bare the week before.  Today I had a PBJ, blood orange, everything pretzels, cheese stick and carrots.

Today was an interesting day at my internship...like I said yesterday, we worked on a display for National Nutrition Month, Nutrition From the Ground Up!  It took us a while to figure out what we were going to do so we didn't quite finish.  This will have to be to be continued...

haha it looks like the second layer of grass is floating but thats a second shelf.  The top shelf will be nutrition info!  We tried to give it a "grass roots" kind of theme so hopefully that's how it will turn out.  I really do love this theme!
So now for the really interesting part of my day.  We have to choose a case study patient to research and present to all of the RDs at the hospital at the end of the semester.  Yesterday I found the most interesting and one of the saddest patients I have seen.  A teenager who had a gun shot wound to the face.  Everything about his story amazed me and drew me in  (I'd love to share it all but that's not exactly legal.)  I will be reviewing his fractured jaw diet and his progression back to a general diet.  I got to speak to him today for a while (while he was eating his pureed diet) and I spoke with him about how lucky he was to be alive!  It also made me think of how grateful I am not to have grown up in a neighborhood where I EVER had to worry about guns or crime.  Definitely something I take for granted.  Anyways, the good news is that he is 100% okay...crazy, I know!

When I got home I could not bring myself to go to the gym because it was just too beautiful outside (yes, sunshine and 35 degrees = beautiful.)  I went for a run around the neighborhood and it felt AMAZING.  So good to be back outside running.  Come onnnnnnn spring!  I also tried to do the first ab work out on the p90x dvds.  I couldn't even make it through the whole first work out!  So hard!  Hopefully I'll finish up the rest of it tonight.

I just got these today and I'm not saying that I approve but I heard so much about it and a friend gave me the dvds so I wanted to familiarize myself.  Plus, Pink does it and if I haven't said it yet I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Pink.  LOVE her.  haha

I'll get into all the reasons why I love her another time...

For dinner I decided I needed to use up some of the things in my fridge like mushroom, onion and goat cheese.  My fav recipe that my mom always made growing up was cream cheese chicken which is a chicken breast stuffed with butter and chive and onion cream cheese wrapped in bacon.  (The amount of cals/fat in this recipe CANNOT be thought about...it's just too good.)  I thought about doing this kind of thing but hopefully not as fattening haha.
I also had some broccoli with mozzarella and brown rice on the side.  It kind of looks like the plate method (half veggies, quarter starch, quarter protein.)  My meals never do this!



It was very good but next time I would use less goat cheese, I forget how strong it is.
Here's what I did:

  • Preheat oven to 375*
  • Sauté mushroom, garlic and onion with olive oil.  (I don't really use amounts...just eyeball it.)
  • Pound chicken breast flat.
  • Spread mushroom and onion on the chicken breast.
  • Put 1 Tbsp (use less!!) in chicken breast.
  • Roll chicken breast up.
  • Sprinkle with basil and parsley.
  • Bake 25 minutes on each side, 50 minutes total.
I have another huge chicken breast leftover so I'll have to eat some of that tomorrow.

I'm going to try and finish this ab session.  Night!

Tara (:

1 comment: